PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Intercept LOC in HDG
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2012, 07:17
baobab72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hdg mode

hi

my two cents

it depends on the aircraft that you fly, if you have a nav to nav xfer feature as we do in the Collins proline 21 a nav to nav transfer is possible, however even though that is not contemplated in our SOP's, i had several instances when despite of the fact i was at the recommended speed - 180kts - and with a fair interception angle - 30 to 45° -, the interception was very sloppy so i switched to HDG mode. This seems to occur more often at certain airports - UKBB Kiev comes to mind -, especially when intercepting from afar and with a reduced interception angle. I do also revert to HDG when flying in high altitude terrain environment - such as LOWI Innsbruk, cos i want to make sure that the AFCS will intercept the localizer before hitting the mountain!
Finaly for passenger comfort sometimes during the nav to nav transfer as the nav source is changed from magenta - fms - to green the airplane banks slightly as the sensitivity is changed.

In the 605 you can not display the DME distance unless the nav source is set to a LOC or VOR so by switching to green source and then putting a bearing on the IF - two waypoints prior to the threshold - allows you to have a better situational awareness.

Happy landings

Baobab72