PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2012, 03:26
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[The desire to absolve the pilots I can understand (and to some degree is already backed up by their apparent lack of training), but why the continual grasping at straws to conclude the aircraft must have either forced them into making the mistake or suffered a failure above and beyond that we already know?]

1. There are mistakes and failures far in excess of "what we know". Just a stabin the dark.

2. No desire to absolve the pilots. I am asking questions in areas that have been foreclosed by a rush to conclude.

3. Questions I ask are studiedly biased at times to elicit a different look, or pov.

4. I have a place in my heart for "patsies". The "fall guy", the pilot, iow.

Much of my passion here has to do with how absolutely crazy it is that this happened. "Airworthy aircraft, meet certificated pilot crew, see you in Paris."
From the brief prior to launch through "I have no control".... It makes me angry.Most of my anger is reserved for AF. Except the pilot group, who showed stones in demanding a r/r pitots.

The flip side is there is so much to learn, to change, to re-assess, and then re-introduce ourselves to a more honest approach to Air Travel. The driving force morphed from an innocent joy in having breakfast in Paris, and dinner in San Francisco into a numbers game. It would have been alright, but for the greed and sloppy handling of things that cannot be compromised, and must always be held close. We're in this together, and a mild jump in camaraderie and integrity would be nice. There is no relax, in the shop, on deck, or the ramp. Let the heathens choose colors for the FA's uniforms, but keep them out of the equipment, and all its supporting iterations.

This crew is not as derelict as some would suggest. Unfortunately they were a bit shy of what must be a new standard for all of us.