PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Spin Awareness/Recovery
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2012, 00:46
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
The world wide GA accident clearly shows that most inadvertent spins occur after an aircraft was mishandled in the circuit or during extremely irresponsible low level show boating type manoevers. In virtually all of the cases the spin entry was at an altitude too low to allow a recovery.

The chance you will experience a spin and then effect a recovery in the "spin" as it is typically demonstrated at a flying school, is virtually zero.

I am a fully qualified aerobatic instructor in Canada but I don't demonstrate any spin recoveries to my PPL students. What I do teach is how to recognize the situations where a departure from controlled flight is a real danger using a variety scenarios. The bottom line is I want to instill an instinctive reaction of stick forward and rudder as required to arrest any yaw for any possible inadvertent stall. If that is there is no way a student can get him or herself into an inadvertent spin.

If they want to do deliberate spins then I invite them to sign up for an introductory aerobatics course.