PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall Spin Awareness/Recovery
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2012, 22:40
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
standard spin recovery
Wash your mouth out with soap sir.

The Tomahawk has a reputation for scary things happening with the tail in a spin, and yet I cannot find any footage on YouTube.

The Slingsby has a reputation for unrecoverable spins. A highly qualified TP is quoted as saying that it has many untested spin modes, and only three that are tested. With an unpredictable spin, recovery isn't a dead cert.
I've never spun a Tommie, but have heard the reputation. What I can't find is much evidence of it having a real problem.

I know some very able pilots who I have a lot of respect for who swear the T67 is safe as houses. I also used to know a very able and almost obsessively safe and careful pilot, who died in one when it span into the ground. The spins I've done in the T67 it showed some characteristics, particularly pitch lightening during the last bit of deceleration towards the stall, that disturbed me. So I don't trust it.

That said, all the historic fatal spin accidents in the T67 are in the small engined models, not the big engined military models.

Personally I am happy to practice spins, and have been the first test pilot to spin a couple of aeroplane types. Whilst it's not exactly my teaching speciality, I would be content to demonstrate spins.

What I will not do is spin without a parachute and jettisonable canopy and/or doors. It's just unnecessary.

G