PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2012, 21:50
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lyman
Shall the master be given an "AUTOTRIM/DISABLE" toggle to prevent the Stabiliser from "Helping"?
The master is supposed to be aware that once the protections are gone, the aircraft must be controlled with as much care as an unprotected aircraft - rocket science it ain't.

This is because with the conferrence of "master" on a pilot, with the power comes the responsibility. I'm completely on board with sympathising with the F/Os, who were thrust into a situation for which they were not trained - but that doesn't make the resultant aircraft handling any less inappropriate.

I realise that I may attract flak as a non-pilot saying this - but even if the FD is telling you to pull up at an altitude that is several thousand feet in excess of the safe limit you discussed only minutes previously (remembering that this is only a theory), then airmanship demands that you ignore the dn FD and just set pitch and power, then try to keep things straight and level until the the danger has passed and the other problems can be resolved.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 18th May 2012 at 21:51.