PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2012, 20:06
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lyman - I spoke to my friend and the TRE over email the other day and they concurred with rudderrudderrat's assertion that the FDs would have come back indicating the current attitude. Bonin was already pulling before the V/S started dropping away. I'm telling you - he could have been following the bars (although I think it unlikely - it has to be considered as a possibility), he could have been following the ADI (which is my pet theory), he may have been completely thrown and trying anything. We don't know and aren't likely to know until the final report is out.

There *was* a UAS pitch-and-power procedure that Airbus disseminated amongst the airlines, and we know AF had a copy. This was not followed, and we do not know how AF communicated that procedure to its crews.

For the last time I'm not defending any company, I'm simply keeping all options on the table. On the other hand I will refute folklore regarding FBW and Airbus if I know it to not be true, but that's about as far as I go. I have no "skin" in this game other than a desire for rational and evidence-based explanation.

Originally Posted by roulishollandais
When soft-limited, the Flight control system is slave, the PILOT is MASTER

When hard-limited (Airbus), the FLIGHT CONTROL is MASTER, and the pilot who is slave, has to look the film...
Completely false. The pilot is "master" in a hard-limited system right up to the point where he or she commands a maneouvre that would stall or damage the aircraft - and the aircraft will follow that command right up to the safe limit. The computer is there to help, not to hinder.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 18th May 2012 at 20:14.