PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Media Coverage of Helicopter Accidents - Bias?
Old 18th May 2012, 18:49
agodesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that this is not a helicopter issue at all. It is just how the world works and the way the media is. Only bad news get viewers, so they always up play the seriousness of things. Basically never mention the non events that happen all the time. One thing as an industry (heli) that we have a disadvantage of, is that helicopters to most people are a mystery, or somewhat unknown, this naturally invokes fear in most people already. Then add to the fact that they crash anywhere and can make headlines worldwide. Throw in the fact that a majority of people exposure to helicopters, is either the news (crashes) or the movies, where more then half end up crashing to add drama to the story. I personally do not give it too much energy, instead I work to achieve the safe flight for myself and my passengers so we can all go home at the end of the day. It helps the remember that helicopters have saved more lives then they have taken. Often your most dangerous time is the drive to the airport. Just my views. Fly safe