PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - which speed conserve fuel the most?
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2012, 13:08
cosmo kramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wizofoz,

As we mostly use are aircraft to go from A to B, we are worried about how much fuel we comsume while traveling a particular distance, not how much we use per hour.
I am objecting to the wording in the Airbus FCOM, not the concept of Max Range Cruise.

Definition of CONSUMPTION

2 a : the act or process of consuming <consumption of food> <consumption of resources>

Comsumption therefore implies a rate. Fuel Consumption will therefore always be "amount per something".

The consumption that will get you the most miles is in an aircraft (Max Range Cruise) not the minimum fuel consumption (Max Endurance). When the engines consume the minimum possible (Max Endurance) you will not fly very fast and hence not cover that many miles.

But since you actually did write practically the same as myself (your emphasis "comsume" vs. Airbus "consumption") it seems you agree.

We are as pilots expected to do our job with great precision, I expect the same precision from those writing our manuals. And actually there is a great difference between Max Range Cruise and Max Endurance, it's not a small mistake.

And no, sometimes it's actually more interesting how long we can stay in the air, than flying from A to B. If you never fly a holding, consider yourself lucky!

Last edited by cosmo kramer; 18th May 2012 at 13:18.