PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay To Close Bases
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2012, 06:04
8driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. The ignorance and assumptions are astonishing.

8driver=20 minuter
Gone once FedEx/UPS/Insert Legacy Carrier Here starts hiring
Just over eight years at CX Santorum. Hired as a direct entry F/O on the freighter, went to the passenger fleet after my three years and stayed on a base, chose to stay on the -400 when my base converted to 777. No apps in anywhere, haven't made a logbook entry in seven years. One of my classmates at CX led the charge to UPS, if I'd wanted to go down that road I would have done it six years ago. Take a look at my age. 47. You really think I'm pining after a right seat in a "legacy" 737 flying six legs a day for probationary pay awaiting the next US downturn? Just because I fly mostly freighter trips and I'm based in North America doesn't mean I was hired yesterday and that I see Cathay as a stop in the road. My intention has always been to retire here. (Insert joke here). Trust me, I don't miss the US airlines.

Go back to Mesa/Colgan/insert ****ty feeder here
I flew DC-8s around the world before I came to Cathay, my last flight at a regional was 15 years ago. I was hired before we dipped into that pool, but thanks for smearing a lot of the guys I fly with just the same.

Or you could come to Hong Kong, but I am guessing that is not an option
You've guessed right Santorum. My intention had been to go to HKG but a divorce got in the way and I've two kids that I'm just a little attached to and share custody of. It will probably be an option in the future. On the other hand it saved me from getting "locked" over there without an option to return due to basing issues, which has happened to quite a few guys hired after me. I do have white beaches and blue, sunny skies where I am.

What I'm really surprised at is how many people just jumped onboard with Santorum's silly assumptions about me. One of the reasons I care about the implications of not signing this letter is because I'm not going anywhere.

cxorist is right. If you sign this you are making a lifetime decision.
And that it is my overriding concern. In typical Cathay fashion, its a one way street going their way, and if and when I am based in HKG it could very well bite me in the ass.

8 driver,
did you ever consider that not signing this letter might forced the company to open a MIA base. We need pilots to operate in and out of there. Can't get them there via px, pt is expensive and inefficient, so lets base a few of them there. The rumor that cx wants a MIA base has been around for a long time. I believe that the gma's letter said something about re-evaluating bases.
Any thoughts to that outcome?
Most of the Captains and a large portion of the F/O's are crewed out of HKG. A lot of the guys request the layover. There isn't the amount of PXing you would think. They'll often PX the relief guy to Houston from another base. Often I PX to IAH the first sector and operate the second to ANC. So guess what? Now it'll be PT to IAH and stay overnight a day early. Miami was up to six flights a week and doing just fine using mostly HKG crews. There have been rumors of it opening for two years, but I think the issues are very deeply rooted in seniority, who would bid the base, and right to live and work. I don't see the solution coming soon.

Do as you consider best for yourself, but by taking a little short term pain, we can hopefully make some long term gain.
That's really the problem Broadband Circuit, the short term pain. How short is short term? I asked above when the last time was that the company reacted to pressure the way the AOA expected and got no answer. I asked what was being done about this Y class PT issue over three hours and got no answer. It should be business class or better, not business or worse. I think most people are ignorant of this issue as well if they aren't in North America. It isn't an issue in HKG, so nobody really cares. But to me that could be a duty day increase from 20 to 30 hours on the way home and an economy seat for those extra hours. Its routine guys. Land in LA, Captain has a YYZ base, he gets a four hour sit in the terminal and a Y class ticket to the East Coast. Because J doesn't exist. I've mentioned this in every post and no one has said a word about it. I get a strong feeling its not a concern. The last year I commuted to LAX full time cost me about 8,000 USD. Sure, I'll be costing the company PT money from ANC but bleeding cash and days off getting home. Not much consolation there. If there was any history to indicate the company might actually be forced to negotiate in a hurry, it would be an easier decision. But that history doesn't exist here.

Last edited by 8driver; 18th May 2012 at 06:35.