PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qr new bond strategy for new joiners
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2012, 00:28
Iver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! Really? I knew that there was a type rating bond but I did not realise it was like this. How does Qatar think they can get so many "qualified" and experienced people to fly their expanding fleet as fast as they need them? I guess they just want desperate newbies. Qatar probably realises that so many pilots are out of work and screwed by their dying or former airlines that it can use this scheme to cut training costs. Who came up with this cost-reduction scheme - the accountants or the HR people? I really hope this is not true.

I understand the type rating, but not the line training - that sounds ridiculous! WTF? Really????? Clearly I would only apply to Qatar now if I were current in one of the aircraft types and I was selected for that same aircraft type... So, if you are current/typed on the A320 and expect to get it and then randomly get assigned the A300-600R, you should expect to pay significant money for the opportunity to fly that airplane? The 787 should save Qatar a lot of training money because I assume everyone will be buying both their type ratings and line training for that new airplane...

I bet many nontyped pilots will be saying "better give me the airplane I actually want to fly if I have to pay for both the type rating AND the line training or I will look elsewhere..." If this continues, Qatar will be viewed strictly as a training center for the next flying job. If you really want a 787 type rating and experience, go get it at Qatar - if you want it and they don't offer it to you - then don't pay for a type rating and line training in a type you don't wish to fly. Better to move on to another airline where you can get the desired experience and maybe not pay as much for it. If you want the 777 or the 787 type and experience, getting assigned the A300-600F (with no previous type) and then having to pay for the experience you are not looking for probably would not work for you. Emirates and that other UAE major airline are looking much more desirable compared to QR.

Wow, if true, this is NOT a good precedent to set for a supposed "world class" airline that wishes to attract the best pilots in the world. I hope Qatar only gets typed pilots (not likely with the 787) who are interested. Instead, they are looking for ways to pay for their expansive training center. That's just too bad. Time to play the lotto if I ever want to apply to Qatar without a relevant type...

Last edited by Iver; 18th May 2012 at 02:38.