PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2012, 20:51
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
New pages for the flight manual

O.K., I can't resist. Got the QuickTime video finally, and post it here.

This is not like the AF jet crash. Got the jet back to the ramp. No previous documented failure of the leading edge flap or successful landing. Next one required an ejection. This one was a 100% maintenance failure, as the troops did not insert the "keeper" pin into the drive tube from the hydraulic motor to the flap drive tubes after some work. So the sucker slipped out about the time gear handle went up.

You have to have a QT extension on your browser, or you download the file and then use the QT app to view it with the audio.

Do I have a lotta sympathy for the AF447 crew? Not really. I was faced with the first of its kind and used every trick in the book, not the 30 previous pitot system failures. I also point out the immense help my FBW laws provided. Instead of a huge roll into the bad wing, HAL tried to keep roll at zero roll rate. Turned out that I had about a pound or so authority beyond the laws, so was able to steer left and right. Pitch worked as advertised.

The box with an "x" after tower told me I had traffic was a radar lock I used with the cosmic stuff we had. Finally got a visual, then back to the approach.

I also did not notice how quickly speed went down once speed brakes were extended. They also influenced yaw. Discussed all that later for next troops wit the same problem. Nevertheless, stabilized at 170 knots and cruised in. Biggest surprise was the touch down and speed bleed off. Once mains on the ground was a piece of cake and aero braked to slow down. Normal touch was about 120 knots.

The problem:

The QT video:
http://www.sluf.org/warbirds/lef-landing.m4v

Will edit if not working.

Last edited by Jetdriver; 19th May 2012 at 11:13.