PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall speed in climbing turn
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2012, 12:47
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Background Noise.

Thanks for that, I think I get the whole helical motion thing.

If I have it right,

Both wings climb or descend the same amount, but one travels further to do it, thus if both wings have the same mounting angle on the fuselage, one has a higher angle of attack.

This does, however leave us with a different problem.

If the outer wing in a climb has higher airspeed and AoA, and lift is dependent upon AoA and lift, then how come there is no change of angle of bank, ie balanced lift?

I still believe the statement "the outer wing has a higher AoA in a climbing turn" is incorrect.

What it should say is "the outer wing in a climb would have a higher AoA, but to maintain a constant angle of bank in a climbing turn, the pilot differentially adjusts the AoA of the wings using the ailerons to reduce the outer wing lift to match the inner wing"

This, of course is actually slightly simplistic, because in a climbing turn to the left, the aircraft is actually in a continuous roll to the right, so the lift on the right wing must actually be slightly lower. The converse is true in the descent.

Last edited by Tourist; 19th May 2012 at 13:53. Reason: To correct my poor confusion of terms AoA and angle of bank.