PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC Wings Funding
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2012, 11:49
AdamLT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mopa,

I too had the same issue as you with regards to funding for the CTC Wings programme back in 2009. Unfortunately my parents weren't willing to 'sacrifice' their home to cover the costs, even though I was 'disappointed' at this news. Looking back, I'm glad they said no as I didn't want to be a burden on them for many years to come.

This then lead me to go down the modular route (at the time I thought Integrated was the only way to go in terms of securing a job). Looking back, I made the right choice.

CTC had always been my preferred choice of FTO, so I undertook my CPL/IR training there from June '11 to Sept '11 (CTC Takeoff) after completing the necessary hour building and ATPL exams. I decided not to do the AQC with CTC as I read through the ATP thread on here and the outlook of getting a job looked slim to zero chances (for us Modular guys anyway). I have since been offered a Type Rating with Ryanair, and I reckon my total expenditure to date (incl. the RYR Type Rating) has been about £65-£70k. It's took me 5 years to get where I have, working as a partly qualified architect to help fund such courses, along with a few bank loans. Good thing about this is, if I don't get to do much flying with RYR, I have a good supply of architectural work to keep me 'ticking over'.

Just don't jump in to an integrated course without first looking at alternatives, like the Modular route. I had so much fun doing it this way and highly recommend this to anyone going down the path of becoming an airline pilot.

Good luck with it all!