PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So what is the profile of a successful cadet?
Old 19th Dec 2002, 13:04
Cambo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was one of the successful candidates for the Britannia sponsorship scheme. If it helps, I'll provide a wee profile:

I've got a 1st class Masters in Aero Eng and pretty decent school results. I've spent 4 months working in America (removals company), 4 months in the Czech Republic (aerospace company) and 5 months at a Dutch University working with supersonic wind tunnels. I've been working for BAE since I graduated and I worked for them last year too, so 1 year in total.

I have little flying experience cos I've never had the spare money, however I started my PPL training a wee while ago and have a bit of gliding and ultralight experience as it was cheaper.

I could write down my hobbies and what organisations I'm a member of etc. etc. but I doubt all that stuff matters too much. In my view, good results will get you into the first stage of a sponsorship, the rest is probably up to your self confidence, experience, motivation and personality. If you can be yourself and present yourself well then you're in with a chance.... a bit of luck wont go astray either!

This was my first shot at a sponsorship scheme, so I don't have any other experience I can tell you about (in the airline domain anyway). I suppose if you make the most of the opportunites you get in life to gain as much experience as you can, then you'll be in with a good shot. That's what I played on in my interview.

Best of luck Soloboy, and everyone else who's applying for sponsorships.

Oh aye, and Merry Christmas!

Cambo