PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 NG Descent profiles
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2002, 12:36
Stan Woolley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50 Cal

Most guys here use the DES NOW prompt and start down a bit earlier than normal to keep the speed from running away, especially at the higher levels (>35K). I only put in descent tailwinds above say 30 kts but normally anticipate going to FLCH around ten grand.

Program in a sensible descent speed(I don't know what CI you use, we're around twenty), we leave the Mach No and change the IAS to 280 kts. SOP is 250kts below 10k also so we leave that in at the planning stage.If you program say 315 kts it limits the margin to increase speed to gain the path if you end up getting high.

I'm not that keen on getting above 300 kts now as we can't use the speedbrake there, so unexpected turbulence at >300kts is more of a consideration now.

The speed brake isn't ideal but often it's the only sensible option, it's there so use it if you need to.

Keep the track miles updated and use 3 x height plus tailwinds/ Anti ice and a few miles in proportion to speed.

This may be a conservative approach to descent planning but it serves me well and keeps the stress levels down.

Cheers