PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailplane lift
Thread: Tailplane lift
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2012, 14:31
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turin
I can see how mathematically it is important to define negative and positive to explain or calculate effect but for descriptive purposes we must at least try and use a common language.
Most people find mathematics a very useful common language in these circumstances. It introduces a discipline that avoids the sort of confusion your approach leads to.

Microburst

What is different in the circulation of airflow created by AoA with respect to that created by camber?
Not really sure how to reply to that one. Short answer is that there is no real difference in that the variation of lift with changes in AoA is the same on a cambered airfoil as it is on a symmetrical one with the same planform. What camber does is change the datum point from which these changes originate so that (for example) zero lift on the old aeromodeller's favourite section the Clark Y occurs at -3.35 degrees AoA. Lift coefficient is then:

lift curve slope*(AoA - AoA zero lift)
or for the Clark Y:
lift curve slope*(AoA + 3.35)

There is a relation Camber-circulation-Aerodynamic moment that I don't quite understand.
The other major difference is that at zero lift on a cambered section there is some downward lift on the front bit of the chord and upward lift on the rear bits. The overall lift is zero, but the two components combine to give a nose down pitching moment (zero lift pitching moment, or Cmo) which is a couple since there is no net force involved. Once you move away from the zero lift AoA, i.e. -3.35 degrees in this case, the additional lift acts at 25% chord just like it does on an uncambered section. The cp will then be Cmo/CL chord lengths away from the 25% chord point.

Any better?

PS: Sorry about the scruffy shading - in a bit of a hurry. Also I seem to have lost the bit that says the solid line is upper surface pressure and the dashed line the lower

Last edited by Owain Glyndwr; 16th May 2012 at 14:35.