PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Olympics Airspace Closure
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2012, 11:54
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
piperarcher;

I think you may find the majority of the businesses affected are helicopter operators who need to operate in and out of Central London. There are at least that number of people involved and despite an enormous amount of negotiation the routes in and out of Battersea are still not known and available to us, commercial operators have been ignored and a lot of jobs are at risk.
I was one of the aerial camera pilots for the Athens Olympics and have worked on major events worldwide and have never seen such a badly organised set up as London. I am Senior Pilot for one of the affected operators and we are going to be very severely hurt financially. A huge area we operate into around London has been taken away for this event and I know of at least 2 operators who may go under due to the loss of almost an entire months' turnover during a recession. I recently had occasion to speak with the head of the olympic side of DAP and she didn't even realise that the area we were talking about was affected.

My company will still be here in August, but I'm worried for people I know in a very small industry, many I have known for years who may be jobless as a result of an overpriced sports day.

SND

Last edited by Sir Niall Dementia; 16th May 2012 at 11:56.