PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gillards Carbon Tax and effect on Aviation fuel
Old 16th May 2012, 10:35
Wan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tax rates for working families* in Australia might be low compared to other countries, but it isn't for the fat cats who make more than around the whopping amount of $100,000 (who are being subsidised by the working families according to our dear leader).

If I make $100, 10% goes to the govt. Of the $90 remaining, I pay 48.5% plus flood levy = 49.5%, leaving me with $45.45 of the original $100. Out that amount, I also pay rates, car rego, case fees etc - things one might have thought that the $55.55 taken off me might have paid for. In any event, at least some portion of the $45.45 I have left goes to the Govt (including as GST)

So the Swedish tax rates you quote don't really frighten me at all.

And before anyone points out that my example above only applies to income over $180k, that doesn't really make me feel any better. It changes the equation I know, but not by that much that I think wow, taxes are quite low.

And before anyone says that I receive government services, yes I do. And I would happily pay more for the defence force, good roads, bridges, tunnels, schools, good public transport etc - but there is no money left for such things after the govt has paid the working families all the different bribes they receive.

* Apologies to any true working families.