PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is war likely with Iran? Consequences for EK?
Old 16th May 2012, 08:40
falconeasydriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sal-e,

I'm assuming you have a modicum of understanding when it comes to history, regional and international politics as well as how this unstable and complex area of the world operates.
Firstly, I agree entirely with your question, actually its a rhetorical question, every military constantly prepares for war as that is ultimately the eventual outcome when all other political avenues/patience has been spent.
The real question must be what type of conflict would be fought, clearly Iran is outmatched in terms of her conventional arsenal but has some marginal tactical advantages in terms of her willingness or otherwise to use unconventional tactics/weapons.
If a conflict were to erupt, I'd expect Irans ability to do anything other than nuisance raids or attacks to be degraded in fairly short order, yes a surprise or two might eventuate from her, but ultimately she has neither the materia'l or resources with respect to technology or sustainability to be anything other than a paper tiger.
That being said, military doctrine is a mult-faceted beast, the US and her allies will be continuing to assess the threats as they see them and will be or already have developed tactics to counter an unconventional foe, don't forget that the US military has come a long way since Somalia, and have evolved through bitter experience to be a very effective fighting force against unconventional forces.
Iran knows this, the US knows this, as do all the GCC countries and Israel etc.
If anything, any skirmishes will be limited in scope and location due to the Iranian lack of any sustainability, the big fear will be co-ordinated terror like attacks on key installations by Iranian special Ops units around the region.
Iran wants a seat at the big boys table, it seeks to dominate the region as it try's to extend its influence.
Ultimately the Iranians are a pretty shrewd bunch, they know that if they push too hard things will snowball and be ultimately self defeating.
I would be surprised if a conflict were to start.

Last edited by falconeasydriver; 16th May 2012 at 08:48.