PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 22:45
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Danny, I suspect the quietness is from an audience captivated by your saga and loath to interrupt it. However, as you have made clear quite a few times that you welcome feedback if only to confirm that there is indeed an audience, can I implore those that are avidly following your peregrination to post to that effect and follow Joe-FBS's example?
As regards the clip, Danny, it can be found by going to YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and doing a search for Vultee Vengeance (if I post the link PPRuNe produces the same viewing window as in my original post). The author, fmcVlad, has an eclectic mixture of postings, mainly military, and seems to be a Russian based modeller, or that's my take at least. There is of course the means of posting comments or questions on the YouTube page, or of sending a personal message instead. The posting is two years old so may or may not exact a response. All it needs is to register, in the same way as with PPRuNe. If you like I can post a question, just let me know and I'll do it.
I'm sure that you are right about the montage, indeed the whole compilation is just that, and all woven together by Elgar! The "Arakan" hilltop setting is very reminiscent of the Borneo jungle where we dropped supplies to similar hilltop DZs during Confrontation. Ah memories!
The Hastie might have wallowed like a galleon on the approach, but she waddled like a duck once back on Terra Firma and on all three points! The amazing thing was though that co-pilot training culminated in "co-pilot solo" at the OCU, when in time honoured fashion your training captain would have you taxy to dispersal, climb out of the aircraft, be replaced by another U/T co-pilot, and off you would go for a take-off, circuit and landing as first pilot.
The instructor's faith in your prowess was not necessarily shared with others though, who having seen that such exercises were due to be flown would bring families and picnics to a safe vantage point to watch the resultant bouncing arrival fun and games! All such indulgence ceased with the changeover to the Hercules. It had a nosewheel and only the LH pilot had a tiller, ergo no co-pilot solos from the RH seat, ergo money saved, but not that tremendous vote of confidence for young inexperienced pilots.
Finally, I see that Avialogs are back on-line. They have a treasure trove of Pilots Notes etc, and here (albeit the A-35 Target Tug variant) is the RAF one for the Vengeance:
Avialogs - 4348 todo
Avialogs themselves can be found and registered at for free (downloading pdf files costs $'s) here:
Avialogs - Avialogs: Aviation E-Library and more

Last edited by Chugalug2; 16th May 2012 at 12:49.