PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What 4 seater? 172SH vs PA28 warrior
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 21:07
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by RyanRs

Well, i am training in a 152, my instructor is 'at a guess' 17 stone and i am 13 stone, we quite often have full fuel onboard too, I can only guess that this much exceeds the 152's MTOW?
I am frankly very disappointed to read this. First that you school did not ever require you to calculate the actual takeoff weight before you flew the aircraft, and the fact that they tacitly condoned over gross operation. I occasionally teach in a C 150/152. If the combined weight of the two of us does not let us carry a minimum of 2 hours of fuel then I tell the student he has to use a C 172 for training...end of.

In any case starting from the very first lesson every student of mine calculates the C of G at the actual takeoff weight (which obviously must be below MGTOW) and the actual endurance the fuel on board will give us at a training block fuel flow. The endurance time is then turned into a "must be on the ground time" (ie Bingo fuel time) that I expect my student to compare to the noted actual takeoff time.

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever; 15th May 2012 at 21:10.