PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Basing? Decisions?
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 20:47
The B Word

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Basing? Decisions?

Just read CAS' latest PR12 Briefing Note and I noticed the following lines...

With regards to our basing, it is important, given the cost of maintaining our estate, that we occupy only the estate that we absolutely require. I believe however that we are moving towards a more stable footing for you and your families. This is of great importance to me and is very much a part of the New Employment Model in which we shall strive to sustain the minimum necessary basing within reach of affordable housing, civilian employment prospects for your families and good education for your children. In the future I envisage a more stable laydown for the Royal Air Force, with our Combat Air aircraft at Coningsby, Marham and in Scotland; our ISTAR Force at Waddington, Air-Transport and Air-to-Air Refuelling Force at Brize Norton, and our Support Helicopter Force at Odiham and Benson. Our training is also similarly stabilising at: Cranwell, Halton, Valley, Shawbury and Cosford, with our A6 and A4 forces at Leeming and Wittering. Increased basing stability is an important pillar of the Whole Force Concept, and the Air Force Board is determined to do all that we can to reduce uncertainty in our Service lives.
...does this mean that the Scotland basing debate is open again? Or does he think devolution is on the cards! What of St Mawgan? St Athan? Linton? Scampton? Henlow? Wyton? Woodvale? Colerne? Weston on the Green? Manston? Northolt? Boulmer? High Wycombe? Etc? All are conspicuous by their absence in CAS' note - or am I being stoopid?

Lot's of mention of New Employment Model (NEM) and Whole Force Concept (WFC) throughout the note and in this short paragraph. Does that mean that the SFA (read Married Quarters) reduction in entitlement, loss of CEA and increased use of Reserves is going "full steam ahead". As well as being stoopid am I also getting paranoid?

The B Word

Last edited by The B Word; 15th May 2012 at 20:48.