PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailplane lift
Thread: Tailplane lift
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 18:30
TURIN

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts
When AoA increases the incidence on both wing and stabiliser increases,
I do not understand how this statement can be true of a 'conventional', stable, aircraft design.

Please indulge me for a moment while I work this through as I know from previous experience that most Ppruners are a damn sight cleverer than me!

Assuming that the mainplane is approx horizontal to the horizon and is at a positive AoA, IE the L/edge is higher than the T/edge relative to airflow then it will produce positive lift. IE UP. The tailplane is also approx horizontal but with the L/edge lower than the T/edge it is still at a positive AoA relative to itself. It will be producing negative lift. IE DOWN.

Therefore, if the a/c nose rises relative to the airflow, the mainplane AoA will increase and the tailplane AoA will decrease.

The result will be that the nose drops because the tailplane is producing LESS downforce (negative lift). After a cycle or two steady state level flight is restored.

I am assuming that the CofG is forward of the CofP.

I know there are a numerous other factors to consider but in the ABC of aerodynamics for idiots (such as myself) this is correct. Yes?

Last edited by TURIN; 15th May 2012 at 21:54. Reason: spilling.