PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Para Wing observation
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 18:19
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towards the end of my time, I heard some saying that anyone who had been awarded wings after balloon jumping had been withdrawn had it easy.
Then they were BSing... The balloon was always easy. The most you ever did was carry a 45lb dummy container which was really just a jerry can filled with sand. More often than not the jump was clean fatigue and was an utter jolly. Hell, it was the only time I got to do a front somersault exit... Dennis Wreford, (II Sqn's PJI for a few years), even rode a pushbike out of the balloon for a giggle. Then you hand in your main and, hopefully, unused reserve and it's off to the mess for tea and medals...

In contrast the preparation for an aircraft jump took several hours of drawing kit and weapons and packing and checking your container. Then another couple of hours drawing, fitting and checking the parachute. At best it was another two hours getting to and aboard the aircraft where you might spend as much as 5 hours in low level flight before reaching the DZ. At P-30 you would be stood up to fit equipment and you'd often spend 15-20 minutes standing up with a 35lb main, 15lb reserve and a container sometimes in excess of 100lb. All before you jump. Then, at best, you had to carry all that crap off the DZ - If you were lucky the re-org was less than half a mile from where you landed. More often it was a lot further. Then, if this was an exercise operational jump you would carry your equipment, (possibly more than 100lb), 15 miles or more, tactically, across country.

Give me the balloon every time...

As far as they were concerned, anyone wearing RAF Parachute badges were not fit to do so, regardless of how they had been earned or awarded.
Well... They would, wouldn't they...

II Sqn. started off doing P Coy. alongside future members of the Parachute Regiment. They also did Pre-Para prior to going to P Coy. After a time it was deemed that the requirements of Pre-Para had proved to be equally as rigorous as P Coy itself and that there was no longer a requirement to attend P Coy. This decision wasn't merely subjective. After a while it was noticed that everyone who passed Pre-Para and went on to P Coy. passed P Coy so it was a bit of a waste sending them.

Your mates were winding you up...