PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 18:18
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say the aircraft naturally wanted to lower it's nose as the speed washed off.
It was only due to the PF's mostly nose up ss demands, aided by full nose up stab trim, that he managed to prevent it from lowering.
I'd say that he held it up there deliberately, but that's only nitpicking

I don't want to spoil the fun, but Clandestino was right when he cautioned against applying 'normal' rules to the stalled state (post #221). I think maybe you can apply some generalisations,i.e behaviour averaged over many seconds, but when you get down to specific time slots there are just too many unknowns.

Just for example; we know that stalling AoA depends on sideslip, so that pitch behaviour near the stall will also vary with slip. We know that the sideslip at high AoA varies kinematically with bank angle, as does AoA itself, so AoA, pitch and sideslip are linked to roll, and we know that the natural lateral behaviour at high AoA is a virtually undamped roll oscillation so that one can expect a sympathetic oscillation in the longitudinal axis. How the dickens can one unscramble that lot without access to some very good data and a powerful computer or simulator? And that is without considering any known possible effects from forebody vortex shedding or wingtip vortex movement over the wing or vortex bursting.

IMHO It just ain't possible - you are wasting your time