PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seneca V Crash
Thread: Seneca V Crash
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 16:50
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GEP

The Seneca Five is a very different animal to its earlier brothers. The Engines are turbocharged, intercooled and wastegated.
The main differences are the engines can fly max continuous rather than limited.
Climb rate can be 1500 fpm initially but even at 18K 800-900 fpm is common!
We did a test at Anglo American for a customer who was unsure whether to go for a pressurised Piper Mirage or the Seneca Five and in the climbing stakes the five beat the Mirage up to 20K.
I ended up being his pilot on a brand new Seneca five for 5 years which included 50 trips in one year to west Ireland single pilot in summer and winter and at night hence his choice of the twin.

TAS at 20K is in excess of 200 kts while down at 10K around the 170 Kt mark.
But obviously at those heights your looking at using the plumbed in oxygen.
29 ins man and 2400rpm equated to 75% to 80% pwr and 26 USG per hour with around 170 KTS TAS.
The tanks hold 123 USG so at those settings your good for around 650 NM with climb considered and an hour reserve.
Power back and you can look at 20 to 22 USG and 150 kts TAS so with climb increasing range to around 720 nm.
Add in a headwind and its not rocket science.
Add in shoddy leaning?
For me its a fly for 4 hrs and land aeroplane

A wing and a prayer?

I feel sorry for the owner as even with a good repair its still an aircraft with an accident History.
With so many on the market who will buy one with an accident history unless you give it away?

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 15th May 2012 at 18:05.