PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operation Chastise 69th Anniversary
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 16:30
orgASMic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halton Brat, I made a point of making the same trip by motorbike on one of my last weekends at Gutersloh before my internment with the Army Air Corps finished. It was an absolutely splendid day out and a great way to conduct such a staff ride.
You are right about what the Army has done to Gutersloh - I nearly wept when I arrived, having previously been there when it was immaculate and bursting with RAF, the air filled with the whine of Harriers and the clatter of Pumas and Chinooks. The trucks and very few Lynx and Gazelle present (Bosnia was popular in those days) did not made quite such an inspiring racket. After catching up with some mates at Laarbruch one Friday night, I was treated to a PD from several Harriers the following Monday. The first phone call was from a very disgruntled Met officer who was upset I had not warned him to get his camera out. The second was from an even more disgruntled garrison colonel who wanted to know what all the noise was and who was going to explain it to the Stadt!