PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Pilot selection help
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 13:11
Dilmah G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^What he said.

Your course codes are probably going to be in a different language to everyone else bar us WA-ers, so a quick translation:

Stage 2 = Year 11 level subject.

Stage 3 = Year 12 level subject.

Here's a quote from a website you should be/become familiar with:

..Emphasis is placed on piloting ability and aptitude as measured by the ADF aircrew test battery, Flight Screening Program and the Officer Selection Board. Equally important are qualitative assessments of personal qualities such as maturity, confidence, motivation, interest in flying, and interest in the role and lifestyle of a ADF pilot. These factors will be examined throughout an applicant's involvement with Defence Force Recruiting, Flight Screening Program and the Officer Selection Board.

The whole process is competitive in nature and applicants are ranked against each other. The ADF always draws from the top down. Applicants are pooled and must compete for selection to Flight Screening Program. If successful at that stage, applicants are pooled again and must compete for appointment to a particular Service.

Initial vetting looks at citizenship, education and medical considerations, however, the ADF Pilot's Course requires both intellectual and physical vigour. Consequently, Defence Force Recruiting will pay particular attention to an applicant's educational background, record of academic achievement and their ability to study and produce results.
You'll notice when reading up about this a little more that all pilots in the ADF are also Officers. The role of a Military Officer - paraphrased - is to Command, Lead, and Manage. And so you're going to need to be able to show the selection staff and hopefully, an Officer Selection Board that you're the kind of bloke people follow. It's all well and good to be a straight-A student, but things like Captaining sporting teams, being a Captain at school, having any other leadership role within the community/etc are all going to put you in good stead.

If you don't have any, start. Send me a message and depending on where you are in Perth, I may be able to get you into a leadership position in the community.

Finally, and this isn't the only time you're going to hear this, read the thread.

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircr...am-merged.html

From the beginning, and ignore all of my posts.

NB: I'm not a pilot, but I've experienced and passed Army Officer selection, with an offer to start training, so I have a rudimentary knowledge of at least the Officer selection side of things.

Last edited by Dilmah G; 15th May 2012 at 13:17. Reason: Spelling.