PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operation Chastise 69th Anniversary
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 10:05
Halton Brat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Operation Chastise 69th Anniversary

Tomorrow, 16 May, is the 69th anniversary of Operation Chastise/Dambusters/617 Sqn.

Two weeks ago, I decided to visit the Moehne, Eder & Sorpe dams as my own tribute to the brave men of 617 Sqn. Departing my base on the Moselle river, I mounted my trusty motorcycle and sallied forth, terrifying sundry old ladies along my route.

The end of day 1 saw me with a bum like a Japanese flag, and positioned for an overnight stay in Guetersloh town, my stamping ground for 4yrs in the mid/late 80's. Dear God, the Army have turned the main gate of the camp into a fortress; however, I was able to glimpse the Sgt's Mess from the roadway. I tried to conjure up memories of the bar therein, but gave up.

Day 2 noon & I'm sitting on the parapet of the Moehne dam with my decrepit c.1960 Pan paperback Dambusters book (Brickhill), reading the account of the attack. All very vivid, and the water level was as high as it was in 1943 - very near the top of the dam. I was able to find clear evidence of .303 bullet strikes on the top stones of the parapets - those on the towers seem to have been airbrushed out. 617's gunners had been busy indeed.

So, jumping onto Mr Honda's finest, I tore off south to the Sorpe (30mins ride). The very different construction of this dam is evident; massive earth banking fore & aft of a concrete core. I couldn't really see how they expected to crack this one - the weapon was delivered by flying along the line of the dam, and was not rotated before release. 617 did re-arrange the parapet promenade though.

On the bike again & off to the Eder (great weather all 3 days of the trip). This is a 2hr ride east through lovely country (or c.15mins in a Lancaster, if you are pushed for time.....).

The Eder dam is of a similar construction to the Moehne. Although 617 did not encounter AAA here (the Germans thought its' best defence was the local terrain), the flying required to drop the weapon here was truly breathtaking. Diving steeply to water level via the valley just west of Schloss Waldeck, then turning c.90' left over the spit of land which extends from the south shore, they had 5-6 seconds to establish speed & height before reaching the drop point c.400m from the dam. Beyond the dam, the terrain immediately rises sharply on the left & in front; a very hard climbing turn to the right would be required. Oh, and by the way, it is night-time. The night of the attack was a full moon; staying at the very nice hotel on the north shore, close to the dam, I was able to walk along the dam on the first-quarter moon-lit night of my visit. The night was gin-clear; though 617 had a full moon, I marvelled at the bravery and skill of these very young men on that night 69 years ago.

I salute them all.

HB

Last edited by Halton Brat; 15th May 2012 at 13:27. Reason: Spulling.......