PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK AAIB(H) May 2012
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 08:16
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
OK, I'll pick up the gauntlet...once again!

Maybe enough of a link to offer guidelines?
I really am surprised that nobody has said it yet, especially with comments here such as;

"... the very last thing in the world i would want to do if i went imc was to look down and left and punch in a transponder code... its tricky enough on a clear day."

"Can't think of an easier way to assist distraction in an inadvertant IMC situation than attempting to set a TPDR code. DRK."

"I'm surprised that the AAIB (in the R-44 report) do not consider the effect of being asked to set a transponder code on a pilot who has just become lost in IMC. It is not a criticism of the controller, but I can't help but think that going head down for several seconds, whilst in IMC, could not have helped the poor pilot in his attempts to reman in control."

Does the phrase, Aviate, Navigate, Communicate not ring any bells?

As for comments such as;

"Agreed that looking down towards the xpdr will make life incredibly difficult and perhaps better ATC understanding of the lack of stability a light rotary pilot faces, especially during IIMC, would be useful so that such instructions are not issued in the future."

"I don't think the controller considered how disorientating it is flying solely on instruments in Robinson (44 still better than 22, though) compared to fixed wing."

I don't think the call to Newquay gave too much away. After the normal introductory call was made;
"Got myself into a bit of difficulty here and at presently 3,200 feet... and uh got lost in cloud, am climbing and uh can you give me some help here please, Tango Golf"

...is different than, for example a basic;
MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY, G-ROTG, R44, in cloud, 6 miles South of Bude, 3,200ft climbing, unrated, need help.

I think to put any blame whatsoever here on a controller is deeply unfair, especially bearing in mind that many are private/commercial qualified pilots themselves and if not have a fantastic understanding of aviation and flying as a whole. Who knows, the controllers first words might have been, "Roger TG, Wings level, bar to bar, watch airspeed, control rate of climb".

Aren't we told from the very start, the first priority at all times is to fly the aircraft!