PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Billions worth of equipment to be left in the Stan
Old 15th May 2012, 07:28
SCAFITE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But there's another way to look at these vehicles, which I'll call the three baskets:
  1. One of a kind mods for Afgh only: Grant to friendly government, in as is condition. (See contracts above for a negotiated package)
  2. Stuff inop: strip for spare parts, fly the spare parts out, leave the carcases for scrap/salvage. Aviation analogue: Hangar Queen / Parts Locker
  3. Common equipment for Brit Army: Ship/fly a few cherry one's out, (after first cannibalizing from basket 2) or, treat as item 2, but only harvest for hard to get or critical parts. Leave the rest for the locals to deal with / use as they see fit.
I have ignored the "demil" detail as I'd assume that to be obvious.

This leaves the Army with least waste, a plus up to the spare parts account from previous fiscal years' money, and a few usable items "gifted" to help with the diplomatic angle. Also, the scrap/salvage may well come in handy for local forces as they apply their ingenuity to using industrial grade scrap/salvage.

The post above is bang on

Nobody is saying that certain BER Equipment will not have to be left behind and yes some equipment will not be worth bringing back, this is common sence.

As the post above state we have 2 years to look at this and now is the time to start the logistic plan unless it is already in place. With a bit of forsight we could save Millions if not Billions of re-usable parts and equipment. We know we are coming out, how we come out will be a reflection on the Military.

Post like I dont give a rats arse about equipment is understandable when it come to loss of life, and no life should be put in danger to recover equipment, and most of this kit will end up at the main bases whare it should be safe to carry out any recovery.

On AT, unless it is mission crit equipment you would not put on AT, but over the next 2 year just how many flight will there be into theatre and any spare space needs to be filled on a slow programe of returns. In 2 years you will be suprised how much stuff will be shifted almost un-noticable to the main operation. More thats done now over 2 years will save lots of pain.

Dont get me wrong if the power that be stated that right chaps you have all got to be out next week thats a different ball game, but it not like that you know whats coming over a long period.

Yawn Yawn Logistics it a pain in the Arse we all know, but a pain in the Arse that will not go away.