PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF pilots leaving
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2012, 07:09
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Big month there, Old Fella.

I'm not sure if you were taking issue with what I wrote, but to put it in context it was in response to Toppie who essentially suggested the RAAF could run a bit more like a business and pay employees more for efficient and effective work practices.

I was saying that as the RAAF is in that regard a public service outfit with the budget dictated from above (and squeezed accordingly), it wouldn't work.

This is by no means a criticism of those actually doing the job - I know lots of people put in some massive efforts to make it all work to the best of their ability with the sometimes limited resources at their disposal.

I know I had to come up with some big efforts in my time, and put up with the usual crap we signed up for, but also had some wonderfully rewarding times.

P.S. Though not as early in the piece as you were (joined 1980), I remember old SDE shooting off his mouth too! The guys leaving weren't just 'malcontents,' they were 'dead wood' too ... he was a strange bloke to say the least.

Last edited by Arm out the window; 15th May 2012 at 07:11.