PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2012, 23:35
FlareHighLandLong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DBTW,

I agree the thread has been drifting from the pre-selection phase to posting issues.

We have been discussing the aspirations and career paths that these applicants will take, in response to queries about what the realities are of careers once you've got your wings. The reason this is happening is because they are smart enough to try to research the whole deal of joining the RAAF. They are rightfully concerned about what happens if they don't get what they are aiming for. We are simply suggesting that by the time streaming comes, there is a very good chance they will be actively seeking ALG. Therefore, don't get stressed about this outcome at the recruitment stage, because there are many who would suggest this is a far better outcome than going to ACG. If the worst case is that you become tagged a career King Air pilot (this appears to be happening to VERY few), you will have had some of the best flying training available anywhere in the world, and you will have a heap of MC/ME experience that will place you very well if yo choose to transition out once you have done your service. Plus you will still have enjoyed the camaraderie of being on a military SQN.

Joining with a goal to go to ALG is a great choice to make. The only issue is that the RAAF revolves around ACG, and therefore candidates are selected on their intention and aptitude to be a knuck. Therefore if a current applicant is smart (and I very much think they are), they will tell everyone exactly what they want to hear until they get to streaming, when they can finally be clear about what they want. I am not advocating dishonesty - simply observing a path that many (not me) have trodden.

Speaking to potential applicants here: as I pointed out before, if ACG was so good, this discussion would be moot. The truth is that if roaring around in a Jet competing with your peers is what makes you tick, then by all means join and push for jets. If you make it then good luck to you, I hope it's everything you dreamed of. For everybody else, DBTW has made a number of posts without making one coherent argument as to why the jet world is so good. You'll get plenty of people from ALG happy to tell you the pros and cons of their world. Have a look at DBTW's attitude. He doesn't know me, what service I provided or what commendations I received. My ALG bosses were grateful to me for my RAAF service and understood my decision to separate based upon the needs of my family. DBTW is prepared to assert that I have used the people of Australia for commercial reasons based on nothing. Because my choices are different to his, he's prepared to make personal attacks, and repeatedly assert that the only basis of my decision can be that I was aiming low and taking an easy route. To me this is typical of the self-absorbed arrogance of ACG. I think everyone in the RAAF should continue to make smart informed choices. Continue boldly and don't let people like DBTW put you off making the decisions that are right for you.

DBTW, I think that you are the only one who thinks that the current applicants aren't smart. They will get to streaming and make informed choices based around facts and information. The question remains: can you offer a comprehensive argument as to why a grad today would want to be a knuck, based upon all the consequences of that decision on themselves, their family, career and professional development?