PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2012, 21:36
DBTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight screening

Gentlemen (?), let's get some stuff straight here. This thread is where youngsters come to seek answers to questions about joining the ADF as pilots. Recently, there has been a significant trend towards uniformed personnel appearing to talk down the ADF's recruitment process.
In my first "on this topic" post I said:
You will find there is inter-type rivalry, inter-service rivalry, inter-personal rivalry.
and since then the responses all appear to come from uniforms trying to self justify. Not a problem, but remember who is reading. I am close enough to the system to know that nearly 100% of the youth approaching the screening process wish to fly fast jets. That is the same as it has ever been and no amount of talking down to the youth of today will change that.

I fully understand there are not enough fast jet slots available for all of the 140 odd students who commence BFTS each year, and the subsequent training process is such that most graduates do not achieve their initial goal. IE: they finish up flying something else.

You guys are all focusing on post selection, post training issues. Both of which are important for everyone in military service to face at some point. In bringing it up on a flight screening forum, all you are doing is demotivating at best, or as I have said already, trying to justify the path you either chose or were forced down.

Thanks for all the insights about Gen Y and the later Gen. To be frank, you are all wrong. I believe the youth of today are just as capable and motivated as any youth have ever been. Quit with the pandering nonsense and make way because they are coming through, and they will step up when needed.

Those of the younger generations reading this, please let me say that I, quite uniquely on this thread it seems, believe in you and your ability to step up to the plate should your nation need you in military service. NB: it is a generational thing that the people here are appearing to be condescending towards you. Continue boldly and reach for the stars. Don't let them talk you down.

FHLL, it is aiming low if you shoot for something you perceive to be easier when you originally aimed for a higher goal. That's life, Mate. You seem to be surviving with it in your "sponsored by the people of Australia" commercial pursuits. I suppose you think everyone in the RAAF should join an airline like what you did?

Thanks to the bulk of you who have re-affirmed that the ADF still attempts to recruit warriors before others. That is a good thing. How the ADF manage the process after training seems to be what you all want to talk about. There is nothing new here. The process I went through was nearly identical, and judging by the stories my father told me, it was the same in his day as well. Might I politely suggest you take that to another thread so that this one can go on giving our youth the answers they need to get through flight screening? They really are motivated and they will be fine. Just give them a chance to prove it.

Last edited by DBTW; 14th May 2012 at 21:37.