PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK AAIB(H) May 2012
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2012, 20:05
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ditto regarding the R44 chap.

I don't think the controller considered how disorientating it is flying solely on instruments in Robinson (44 still better than 22, though) compared to fixed wing. Add in leaning over and already being stressed.

I find it quite a difference, flying in trimmed out C172 on instruments, including in actual as opposed to being in R22 with bit of turbulence, head down looking at instrument panel. I'm still not finished with FAA IR, but when I was given sort of binocular foggles with tiny holes for panel and no outside cues, I was flying R22 like drunk and overshooting the turns constantly, including bias of turns towards one side when trying to fly straight.

Just a speculation, but the way we have to pull or push the T bar in Robinsons, just to fly S&L, depending on airspeed and CG (not just DoL), could have made the reduced turn rate for the guy, together with not being current flying on instruments. Besides, the not so instant slowing down/speeding up in 44.
I'd say it's easier to lose track of slowly bleeding off airspeed when climbing.

Losing so much airspeed and being in the soup, virtually OGE hover, that's what looks like the last step in losing control. Wonder if he had AH in the panel of VFR ship as well.

212man,
I tended to put the nose down a bit, pushing cyclic, when fiddling with instruments in Robinson. Collective may have moved slightly when it wasn't held and thus changing pitch, too. Not possible to say now. Probably similar amount of heli hood time as this guy when he did some 'instrument appreciation' training.