PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2012, 17:30
peter we

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's my view that the UK will need a ramp, and it would be very strange if we didn't use one. A ramp gives significant increases in MTOW (very significant) at reduced deck runs
How much would it increase MTOW, becuase my back of a fag packet calculation says its proportional to thrust or empty weight, all things been equal on the deck length say 600ft). So I came up with a figure of 4600lb extra.
Adding the very long deck, my calculation says the F-35b could operate at close to the MTOW with quite a bit of a margin. If this is then case the SRVL really is crucial. Is the F-35b going to used its maximum on the UK carriers?

Given that the thing will fly regardless if it's going forward quickly enough, why is this tradeoff worthwhile? Is it some sort of special voodoo relevant only to aircraft with some sort of vertical lift system like Harrier or F35B?
Its ballistics, the same principle was used to fire cannons the longest distance, so its very old voodoo. Plus the more convenient aspects such as pointing towards then sky not sea.

BTW, has the f-35B got a name yet, say Strike Harrier?

Last edited by peter we; 14th May 2012 at 17:37.