PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Billions worth of equipment to be left in the Stan
Old 14th May 2012, 15:20
Lonewolf_50

Received 452 Likes on 285 Posts
Pontius has the best angle on this, in terms of the support contracts potentially in store for somebody.

(If any of you want to weep about waste, see Gulf War 1991, and the mountains of stuff the US DoD left in Saudi and Kuwait, some of it buried, some simply abandoned).

But there's another way to look at these vehicles, which I'll call the three baskets:
  1. One of a kind mods for Afgh only: Grant to friendly government, in as is condition. (See contracts above for a negotiated package)
  2. Stuff inop: strip for spare parts, fly the spare parts out, leave the carcases for scrap/salvage. Aviation analogue: Hangar Queen / Parts Locker
  3. Common equipment for Brit Army: Ship/fly a few cherry one's out, (after first cannibalizing from basket 2) or, treat as item 2, but only harvest for hard to get or critical parts. Leave the rest for the locals to deal with / use as they see fit.
I have ignored the "demil" detail as I'd assume that to be obvious.

This leaves the Army with least waste, a plus up to the spare parts account from previous fiscal years' money, and a few usable items "gifted" to help with the diplomatic angle. Also, the scrap/salvage may well come in handy for local forces as they apply their ingenuity to using industrial grade scrap/salvage.