PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlight Crash in Scotland - 2 Fatalities
Old 14th May 2012, 14:18
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I really cannot imagine that any locally based microlight pilot, flying out of Glenforsa, was unaware of either weather risks, turbulence, or local terrain.

Many microlight pilots do however consider RT as something that mostly happens to other people. There are perhaps more arguments against than for that position but ultimately - ATC is highly unlikely to stop a non-transponder aircraft in open FIR from flying into a mountain.

And a day or two after the accident, any speculation is really total conjecture, including mine. This isn't a moral point - simply a statement of fact, nobody knows. Yet.

I hope and trust however that AAIB will make sure we do as soon and as thoroughly as they can.

As I said, I'm making no moral point, just saying that until AAIB have done their job, I simply wouldn't trust any conclusions drawn by anybody else.

What is clear however, is that two of our fellow aviators have died, and their fellow pilots, and their friends and especially families, have suffered an awful loss. For this, my deepest sympathies to everybody who knew the two men.

G