PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2012, 12:51
FlareHighLandLong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started 2FTS wanting to be a knuck, and I can clearly remember belittling a coursemate who wanted hercs at the start. As course went on there was a constant pressure from the QFIs pushing us all towards knucks. I found this confusing. If it is so good, why do they need to push us to it? The more I looked at it, it got less appealing. In the end I approached a senior 79 SQN QFI, and asked him why I should want to go to knucks. His only response was that if I didn't just desperately want to zoom into the sky in hornet, then I didn't belong. I accepted his advice and continued to work my ass off to earn my wings before moving on to a very rewarding ALG career.

I think most new boggies are like me. They make smart informed decisions. If the rush of zooming around in a hornet is all you have to offer, I think you need to do MUCH better. That would be fun, sure, but once you've ticked that box, what does it offer you in the medium and long term?

For those who think it is good to wish for any form of military transport or support job over a fast jet post, let me just say that if you manage to slip through the selection process don't try to talk up the fact that you are aiming low. The only reason for aiming low is to avoid disappointment, and if that is how you think I hope the military doesn't want you. To my mind, the military needs go getters, not settlers.
This comment displays your total lack of understanding. Aiming for ALG is not aiming low. I worked my ass off to get my wings, and have continued to work hard to be an effective and professional operator providing capability on a range of operations across the globe. I have now moved on to civil opportunities that I am well prepared for given my multi-engine multi-crew background. Throughout my career I have not heard of one bit of information that would have me question that original decision. I would also encourage you desist from the comments about less work being a motivator. There are many things that inform the decision to preference away from knucks, the lower requirement to spend precious days off at work is just one, and often not THE motivator.

Perhaps if you thought of your non-ACG colleagues on a peer basis, instead of assuming they are 'lower', it might help you to start making the comparison the boggies make. You might even start to understand how the opportunity to fly a C17 is an unparalleled opportunity to fly a modern glass cockpit swept wing jet on operations around the globe. I cannot fathom how knucks provides a better opportunity than this.