PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Searching for a good read...
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2002, 22:25
MLS-12D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Recommendations

Here are some more titles that I don't believe anyone has mentioned so far. I've listed the boooks alphabetically and according to my own subjective rating system [**** = excellent, *** = very good, **= good]:

(1) Paul M. Gahlinger, The Cockpit: A Flight of Escape and Discovery (2000) [from California to Egypt in a Cessna Cardinal]
(2) Mariana Gosnell, Zero Three Bravo: Solo Across America in a Small Plane (1993) [summer flying in an old Luscombe]
(3) Robert S. Grant, Bush Flying: The Romance of the North (1995) [bush flying in Canada]
(4) Frank Kingston Smith, Flights of Fancy (1960) [adventures in a Piper Comanche]
(5) Frank Kingston Smith, Weekend Wings: the Complete Adventures of the Original Weekend Pilot (1982) [full circle from a Cessna 140 to a Piper Cherokee 140]

(1) Donald Fonger, Challenging the Skies (1988) [around the world in a Twin Comanche]
(2) Hugh Godefroy, Lucky 13 (1987) [Spitfire pilot in WW2]
(3) Laurence Gonzales, One Zero Charlie: Adventures in Grass Roots Aviation (1992) [aerobatics and weekend flying in Illinois]
(4) John Kilbracken, Bring Back my Stringbag (1979) [Swordfish pilot in WW2]
(5) Frank Kingston Smith, Weekend Pilot (1957) [learning to fly in a Cessna 140]
(6) Frank Kingston Smith, I’d Rather be Flying (1962) [learning to fly instruments and learning to fly a Piper Apache]
(7) Dave McIntosh, Terror in the Starboard Seat (1980) [Mosquito navigator in WW2]

(1) Justin de Goutiere, The Pathless Way (1969) [float flying in British Columbia]
(2) Harmon Helmericks, The Last of the Bush Pilots (1969) [bush flying in Alaska]
(3) Harmon Helmericks, The Flight of the Arctic Tern (1952) [bush flying in Alaska]
(4) Roy Mason, Ice Runway (1984) [recreational flying in British Columbia]
(5) Jack Schofield, Flights of a Coast Dog: A Pilot’s Log (1999) [bush flying in British Columbia]
(6) Sheila Scott, I Must Fly (1968) [around the world in a Piper Comanche]
(7) Sheila Scott, On Top of the World (1973) [further adventures in a Piper Aztec]

Happy reading!

MLS-12D