PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another of Genghis' thought experiments - the perfect trainer?
Old 14th May 2012, 09:49
Genghis the Engineer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
Thanks Jock, now I'm going to challenge you a bit. I was trained when I learned the fine art of flight test not to say "this needs more dihedral" but to say "this needs increased lateral stability". The difference being that in the first you are owning the solution, but in the second you are owning the problem. The difference is that it's okay getting the blame for telling everybody something is wrong with the aeroplane, and what - but if you tell them what to do to it, and you are wrong, you'll get it in the neck.

Plus test pilots test, and aircraft designers design. (Although test pilots may point out what designs have worked fine before.)

What I want to get to is the problems, so it seems to me that what you are really saying is:

- An aeroplane that can be fuelled, and the fuel checked visually, without climbing on anything, and the latter ideally whilst strapped in.
- Front seats that can be easily accessed, again without climbing, and ideally from a wheelchair.
- Easy and direct entry and egress to most of the seats, and definitely the front left.
- A firm, non-slipping, pitch trimmer.
- A rugged, maintenance free, undercarriage which isn't prone to corrosion.
- PTT disable and backup.
- Tail positioned to make prop-wash effects happen.
- Full harness, reconfigurable to lapstrap only, with simple operation and adjustment.

?

G