PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Helicopter ditching 10th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012, 09:37
Alloa Akbar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HC- I have been out of the HUMS arena for a few years now (Formerly Systems Engineer on IHUMS) back then (Early part of the Noughties) we had pretty good control and interpretation of the systems data output, however even in mature airframes, we had the odd failure which was on something we hadn't actually been monitoring directly.. anyway, my question..

The CAA funded a study (carried out by Smiths) to develop a "neural networked" HUMS system which would be smart enough to evolve its own thresholds levels. What was the outcome? I was recently at an HM Gov Tech Strat Board competition launch where they invited bids for funding to develop HUMS systems, although after I questioned the TSB staff it turns out that they felt it was a good subject matter, although they had no idea that in fact it was already a mature system as they had not carried out any research.. Nor had they had any contact with CAA SRG on the subject

So are you guys still plodding on with the systems we had ten years ago, or has there been significant technology advances in terms of data collection, processing and interpretation? Is SMART HUMS any nearer reality? I mean real advances here.. not just a sexy new name or a swish new display format on the PC's. I look at advances in data processing and application engineering in areas such as communications and entertainment and can't help but think HUMS should have evolved at the same rate by virtue of the same architecture?

Interested in yours and others opinion on the matter..