PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Billions worth of equipment to be left in the Stan
Old 14th May 2012, 08:12
SCAFITE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Equipment

I posted only what had been printed in the paper that day,one reply stated in was Journo rubbish, but it is pure fact as far as the number of vehicles goes.

The UK force out in Afghanistan has 1900 combat and protected vehicles out of a total force of 6000 for the whole of the British Army, and possibly thousands of utility and logistics vehicles and IMHO I don’t think one vehicle will be recovered. It is most likely no one on this forum including me knows just how much material is out in theatre and the consequence of the loss of that material on an Army that is already strapped for cash. As one poster has stated the country is land locked and there is no place to run.

There have been many valid reply’s including the ones about the cost effectiveness of recovery , and of course the tragic loss of our service personnel, but in the end materialistically it will be one of the biggest disaster the British Army has faced including WW2.

We can all come up with excuses about funding and it is no use back in the UK, but it is disaster coupled with the loss of all the logistic and other vehicles, plus god knows how much in spares and tools that will simply be abandoned. It realy does sound like some Victory or not.

The lives of our personnel is of course the most important factor in withdrawal and I am sure this will be sorted no problem, but the loss of Billions worth of equipment of all shapes and sizes that fiscally we may not be able to replace could leave the British Army in a very poor state.

Last edited by SCAFITE; 14th May 2012 at 08:16.