PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Helicopter ditching 10th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012, 07:40
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Just as a postscript to the HUMS issue, apparently the user can adjust the thresholds at which alerts are generated and we have now significantly reduced the thresholds for the oil pump drive parameters as of this morning.

In our company, we have always downloaded and analysed the HUMS when we return to base, even when it is a rotors-running turnround (as it often is). On the 332L2 this is not possible since there is no method of forcing a termination of the HUMS session onto the card whilst rotors running. The ability to rotors-run download is something we insisted on before taking delivery of the first 225 (and I recall we had to pay EC extra to develop it!). However the manufacturer's procedures do not require HUMS to be dowloaded like this - their view is that once every 25hrs is adequate. I am not sure whether other operators routinely download on every arrival at base - it would be interesting to hear if they do?

In my view the manufacturer should be more proactive in encouraging operators to make the most of HUMS. For the time being, they regard HUMS as an "optional extra" (although of course it is a regulatory requirement for N Sea) and I think it is time this view changed!