PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2012, 04:43
DBTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All good chatty stuff guys...

As a former military fast jet pilot, Fighter squadron CO and mentor/role model for a few folk over the decades (in a variety of countries), may I advise any of you who think being a military pilot in any aeroplane type is going to be easy, look elsewhere because the military will screen you out. None of it is easy. All of it takes huge amounts of time, energy and commitment. You don't get your hands on multi-million dollar equipment without being thoroughly prepared, and that actually applies to any job you choose to contemplate. Not just the military.

For those who think it is good to wish for any form of military transport or support job over a fast jet post, let me just say that if you manage to slip through the selection process don't try to talk up the fact that you are aiming low. The only reason for aiming low is to avoid disappointment, and if that is how you think I hope the military doesn't want you. To my mind, the military needs go getters, not settlers.

You will find there is inter-type rivalry, inter-service rivalry, inter-personal rivalry. All of it is a part of the competition and camaraderie of service life. Everything about screening is about you presenting yourself in the best possible way to get selected for what you really want. Argue all you like about who goes where, who does what and who gets the gongs...the fact is that most people aspire to be fighter pilots, and they are the kind of people the military want. From those selected, pilots for all types will be trained/picked. Nobody joins to fly BBJs, Challengers, B350s...or for that matter CT4s and PC9s. Don't even think about them! These are all just aeroplanes around for you to fly when you are on your way to a warplane, or on a break from a warplane. They do have a mission, but you must aspire to something higher!

Think about the air force motto and what it means. Can you really do that if you peak on a PC9?