PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some Good News ?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2012, 01:12
ranmar850

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attracting new staff. 12 hour days. multiple nights in motels on a bag drag around .............. Disrupted sleep patterns, disgruntal partners and for pay not much different to a truck driver. Indeed in the mining industry, a lot less. Now, why is it they describe a difficulty in attracting new pilots?
Actually, you just described life in mining, unwittingly--12 hour days, away from home for between 8 and 14 nights at a time,ALL the time, disrupted sleep patterns for the majority who work dayshift/nightshift--if you haven't worked in mining, just bear that the hours are somewhat unsociable and long. I fall about laughing when I hear someone saying pilots are being" absolutely flogged " (recent quote from this forum) at 900 hours a year, and yes, I assume that is actual flight time.
Anyway, back on topic. This" looming pilot shortage" has been happening for a long time. It was being heavily touted when I did my PPL training in the early nineties.

And I am sure that job satifaction, all up, must be greater in aviation than being a "dirt taxi "driver.