PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another of Genghis' thought experiments - the perfect trainer?
Old 13th May 2012, 21:27
Genghis the Engineer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
Some great thoughts here, a few thoughts back:

- I appreciate that some parts of the world don't trust the Rotax product. Simple solution, add into the aircraft options two powerplants - a Continental and a 912. Let the market sort it out. An expensive hobby, but at the same time it creates an insurance policy for people either side of the fence and may help sales.

- I prefer a stick as well. For me. What about for a training aeroplane however, which was my question? Are there real advantages to a stick in a trainer?

And some questions back at Blagger in particular:

Some kind of quick change landing light or LED like MJ says
Damned good idea, and very easy.

A least a few 12V power sockets
Absolutely! I think myself I'd go for USB sockets rather than the horrible wobbly cigar lighter style that we're afflicted with still.

Car like seat belts like I think Cirus have (unless you need aeros harness I suppose)
Hmmm. I grew up on military aeroplanes then 3-axis microlights, both of which normally had 4 point harnesses. I can see why a car style makes good sense if you prefer to have a 3-pointer but, dammit, I like a 4 point harness. What does everybody else think?

Some kind of TCAS, have flown with the one in the Tutor and ought it was really useful
Hmmm again. In a trainer? Teach technology dependence early on? I'm unconvinced.

Fuel tanks that you can easily visual check with some kind of graduated scale
Like 2 of the 3 aeroplane types I've flown in the last 3 days. Strangely these two were microlights - it's dead easy to do, and I agree utterly. Why does the group A world have such a hatred of the wonderfully simple sight tube?

Checklist integrated into any glass screen display
Hmmm yet again. It's still a training aeroplane - training pilots who mostly will go onto fly aeroplanes with paper checklists. Have a go at convincing me, but you've not done yet.

ISOFIX so people can take kids flying perhaps?
Any instructors here keen on flying students who have their infant child in the backseat?

Again, perhaps a nice idea for a GA tourer - but my question was about a training aeroplane.

G