PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet managers must be good....
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2002, 20:26
A4

Ut Sementem Feeceris

Received 156 Likes on 32 Posts
This is a sad state of affairs. It seems more comon than ever that crew (flight and cabin) are being shafted left right and centre whilst the senior management get away with GROSS in-efficiencies and STILL get their bonuses. This fat cat attitude needs to be stopped. Credit where credit is due but all too often it is NOT due!

Over the last few years the professional status of pilot has been downgraded both in terms of perception and reward. With more and more stories emerging such as the EZY management payouts and the MYT pay-offs for the "failed" directors, where are all the pilots going to come from to cope with the predicted massive expansion aviation over the next 20 years? Who in their right mind would go into an industry which

a) requires a significant amount of hard work, dedication and money to achieve the licence let alone get to LHS.

b) requires continued proof of ability throughout your career or suddenly it's no job (an no you don't get two years salary + options if you "fail")

c) Pays only £65K a year for the responsibility of a $30 - 90 million aircraft and maybe 360 people on board. I have a friend in computer sales who earns DOUBLE what I get - with no formal training.

With the added pressures post 911 and now being locked away in the flight deck for 11 hours with little crew communication (CRM.....?) it's hardly a bed of roses is it?

Having said all that I still love my job - but I don't like what is going on in the industry (although it doesn't apply exclusively to aviation). This "line your pockets and sod everyone else" attitude is contemptable and morally wrong. They're (management) very good at handing at "mission statements" and "teamwork memos" - when are they going to start handing some of the cash which EVERYONE in the company has helped to achieve - sometimes in spite of managements best efforts!

Heres hoping....but I suppose I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to what is right and what is wrong.

A4