PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A breath of fresh air at last. One pilots view of CRM
Old 13th May 2012, 18:28
Sillypeoples

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have had to deal with attitude in the cockpit. I think much of it is the 'white scarf' mentality, or the 'mentor' mentality, or the 'I'm here, I must be good enough' mentality that more then a few pilots have. More then a few have something to prove in the cockpit and they don't have a problem pushing it either at the captain, at the FO, or at a cocaptain.

While a cockpit can be so toxic as to be a serious safety hazard...increases workload tremendously, changes focus and priority...this is really a problem for the people that have never really done anything in aviation...haven't really 'been there and done that'...more they just showed up...now feel they need to wax expert on the subject.

If a guy has some thing to prove in the cockpit...just turn off the auto pilot, give him one needed to navigate with..and say 'show me'...that ends the argument. Every sim instructor knows this, every pilot who's been flying pre A/P and GPS knows this....