PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2012, 16:35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power projection?

So let me get this right, UK plc has taken a decision to invest about £5 billion on two of the world’s largest (outside the USN) and potentially most potent warships each with a crew of 600+, but according to many of those writing on this forum instead of patrolling and cruising the world’s oceans with a potent air wing they will spend most of their operational service just carrying a few helicopters, whilst the aircraft that gives them their capability operate as a Tornado replacement for the RAF in the UK? Is this really an efficient and effective use of our investment? I fully accept that the UK will probably end up with only 60-100 F-35s but should they not be prioritised to where they may be of greatest deterrent and power projecting value? In my view that is travelling the world on board a carrier, not sitting snug on a UK airfield. After all a large carrier by definition is a mobile UK airfield and will be just as capable of projecting power for UK plc as any foreign base, more so in fact. Perhaps we could reduce the pain by reintroducing the "Fleet Air Arm branch of the RAF" to be staffed only by those in light blue who are happy to spend a significant part of their service afloat; a life that I fully accept is not everyone's cup of tea.